Duke Wiki  logo
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

May 27 – Arrival and Dinner

We will meet in Chapel Hill for drinks and dinner.  For those arriving early, feel free to come by Charlie’s house in late afternoon (directions and phone number below and on the wiki).  We will walk over to The Crunkleton for a drink around 5:30, and to Kipo’s Greek Taverna at 6:30 pm (reservation under Joel Bray if you arrive early).  

I will cover the costs of the meal but will ask you to pay for your drinks and dessert.  Feel free to join us anywhere along the schedule, but let Joel know if you will attend the dinner so that we can have an accurate headcount for the reservation.  We will provide transportation options back to Durham for those of you staying on East Campus for the AnthroTree Workshop. 

May 28 – Meeting Day

8:30  Meet at the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center.

8:45  Introductory comments (Charlie Nunn & NESCent Staff). 

9:00  Individual presentations by research groups (6 minutes max. each)

 

  • Joel Bray:  Primate socioecology and intraspecific variation
  • Aaron Sandel:  Group size and intraspecific variation
  • Carola Borries (w/ A. Koenig, A. Gordon):  Life history traits repository
  • Amanda Spriggs (and A. Gordon):  Body mass
  • Adam Gordon: Human Origins Database
  • Eduardo Fernandez-Duque:  Evolution of monogamy
  • Jason Kamilar (and B. Bradley):  Comparative data / Yale project
  • Anne Pusey:  Primate Life History Project
  • Tony Di Fiore (and R. Overstreet):   The Ethoinformatics Project
  • Andreas Koenig (and others): Primate agonism and dominance hierarchies            

 

10:15  Summary of common themes and moving forward (Charlie Nunn)

10:30  The end-user’s view 

For those who are interested in using data from the other research groups, what is important?  What would you like to have in a database?  We hope to hear from others in the group such as Markus Port, Jason Kamilar, Robert Barton, Caroline Rusk, and Roger Mundry.

11:00  The informatics side  

The different research groups will informally (and quickly!) share their methods of storing data, addressing the following questions:  Are you using a relational database or flat files, such as Excel?  How do you share the data with collaborators?   How do you plan to share the data more generally?  How are you keeping track of references, papers, and notes on coding data?  What taxonomic framework are you using, and why?  How do you deal with data that use an alternative taxonomy?  What is your most time-consuming activity?  Is data storage an issue for you?  How are you backing up your data?  What other informatics challenges do you face?

11:30  Break-out groups We will have three break-out groups, each addressing one of following topics:

 

    • Searching for Progress:  What do we need to push forward?
    • Searching for Catalysis:  Where are synergies of working together?
    • Searching for Consistency:  How to establish and maintain data standards?

12:15  Lunch at Elmo’s, a popular diner within walking distance.  

We will organize seating to mix-up members of different break-out groups to discuss perspectives raised in the break-out meeting.  Be prepared to continue the discussions over lunch.

1:30    Break-out groups reform

Write-up main conclusions in bullet-point format, based on discussions at lunch; share with the broader group.
2:30    Funding possibilities:  What is available? What are the options? 
We hope to hear especially from those who have attempted to secure funding for comparative projects or are involved in long-term working groups involving data, including Tony Di Fiore, Anne Pusey, Robert Barton, Brenda Bradley, and Jason Kamilar.
3:00    Moving forward: What is next? 
Do we have another meeting?  Identify leaders of initiatives (e.g., shared data collecting effort, grant-writing, establishing informatics resources, etc.).  Identify teams of people to handle those needs, and set goals for next meeting.
4:00    Wrap up meeting.

 

  • No labels