Just as web pages may be hyperlinked to each other, Cobalt spaces may be linked, too, allowing you to connect your spaces with spaces owned by other users.
To protect privacy and ensure security, Cobalt prevents unauthenticated users from opening links to other users' spaces. Before you can link spaces, you must complete a one-time registration of your Cobalt identity. Whenever you wish to communicate with other users or link to their spaces you will first need to log in to Cobalt with the User ID and Password you establish during registration. See Registering Your Cobalt Identity for more details.
Linking Two Spaces
To link your space with another user's space both spaces must be running and both of you must be logged in. Cobalt's built-in chat service provides the mechanism for linking.
- Login to Cobalt: Cobalt > Login
- Open a chat session with the person whose space you wish to link to your own space: People > Text Chat Window
- Once you've established a chat session, a Join button will appear within your chat window that's associated with the other person's space. Click the Join button to send a request asking for permission to establish a link.
- A popup screen will ask what kind of link you wish to establish: one-way or two-way. A one-way link allows travel from space A to space B, but NOT from space B to space A. A two-way link allows travel in both directions. You'll also have the option of requesting a Teleport to the other user's space. Teleporting does not link the two spaces.
- Once the other space owner has approved your link request Cobalt will open a portal providing entrance to the linked to space.
Persistence of Links
The links remain only as long as the Cobalt spaces are running. If you or the other person close down your Cobalt space the links are broken and must be re-established by starting a new session.