Cobalt's integrated voice chat tool allows you to speak to other users in the same Cobalt space. With Cobalt's voice feature audio is spacialized - the relative position of users/avatars affects both the loudness and lateral position (i.e. left, right, center) of their voices.
To use voice chat, you'll need a microphone and speakers/headphones. To eliminate problems with echo and feedback, we strongly recommend that you use a pc headset with a built-in mic.
Configuring your computer's microphone and speaker settings
Before using Cobalt's voice chat feature check your computer's microphone and speaker settings to make sure they're properly configured.
- Click the Start button and select Windows Control Panel.
- Open the Sounds and Audio Devices manager.
- Select the Audio tab.
- In the Sound Playback section click the Volume button and confirm the volume check boxes are un-muted and that volume sliders are raised to your preferred level. In the Default device drop-down menu, confirm that your sound card is selected (will usually be selected by default).
- In the Sound Recording section click the Volume button and confirm buttons are un-muted and volume sliders are raised. In the Default device drop-down menu, confirm that your sound card is selected (will usually be selected by default).
- Go to System Preferences and select Sound.
- For Output, choose your output device and adjust volume if necessary.
- For Input, choose your input device and adjust the volume if necessary.
Enabling Voice Chat
From the People menu select Voice Chat>Start.
Speaker and Mic Control Icons
On screen icons allow you to control your speakers/headphones and microphone.
(1) Speaker Icon: Toggles between Speaker On and Speaker Mute. (Note: currently disabled.)
(2) Keyhole Icon: Toggles between Voice Chat ON and Voice Chat OFF.
(3) Microphone Icon: Toggles between Mic On and Mic Mute. (Note: currently disabled.)
(4) Volume Slider: Adjusts the Volume of ALL audio in the Cobalt Space.
(5) Volume Mute: Mutes the Volume of ALL audio in the Cobalt Space.