Duke Wiki  logo
Child pages
  • Addressing your concerns
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

The NicSchool is a pretty great place, but in the event you have a serious concern or grievances during your time here, here's what to do.

The Fine Print:

"A collegial relationship among students, faculty and staff is one of the hallmarks of the NicholasSchool.  Students are provided with both formal and informal avenues to express concerns or complaints they may have.

When MEM/MF students have concerns or complaints, as described in the Nicholas School Student Handbook, "the Nicholas School Student Council (NSSC) provides a means of bringing school-wide academic concerns to the attention of the Office of the Dean and to the Nicholas School Education Committee." One of the student officers of the NSSC serves as the Academic Officer, who is the main conduit of requests, comments and complaints regarding educational matters. MEM/MF students may also transmit individual concerns to the Director of Professional Studies and/or the Assistant Dean for Enrollment Services, who determine where in the NicholasSchool a student's concern is best addressed. Students enrolled in the DEL-MEM program direct their concerns to the Director of the DEL-MEM program, who in turn determines where in the NicholasSchool the student's concern is best addressed.  Students are urged to document complaints in writing to facilitate communication.  Depending upon the nature of the complaint, these may be acted upon in confidence. 

Complaints or concerns that relate to curricular matters are directed to the Director of Professional Studies, who in turn may notify the Chair of the Nicholas School Education Committee.   The Education Committee Chair acts as the conduit for communicating student concerns about curricula to and from the Education Committee.  The Education Committee acts upon student requests and concerns with respect to curricular matters. Students may request to attend Education Committee meetings on an ad hocbasis when there are issues of particular importance to them.

When complaints concern an individual course or a course instructor, the Director of Professional Studies or the Director of the DEL-MEM program may initially work with a student on how to communicate directly with the instructor.  If this is not successful, the Director of Professional Studies or the Director of the DEL-MEM program meets with the instructor to try to resolve the problem. When there are ongoing problems with faculty-student interactions (e.g., teaching or advising), the Director of Professional Studies or the Director of the DEL-MEM program refers the problem to the faculty member's division chair and/or the Dean for further intervention.

The descriptions above refer to complaints that do not intersect with the Nicholas School honor code, based on the Duke Community Standard, or with DukeUniversity policies and procedures concerningharassment, which are addressed under separate protocols."

In Short:
For any suggestions/complaints you don't feel comfortable personally taking to the professor, administrator, or Director of Professional studies, please contact the NSSC Academic Officer or your NSSC Program Area Representative, who will work on your behalf to address your concerns.

  • No labels