Several historical maps of the area are available at digitaldurham.duke.edu. Some notes from these maps:
- an historically black neighborhood existed to the north of our site in 1937; it was bulldozed for the construction of 147 in the 70s
- nearby parcels were predominantly residential, there was a school at the corner of Caswell and Swift
- Duke owned nothing in the vicinity in the late 1940s; campus drive was formerly called Myrtle Drive
- have yet to find a land-use map of the area from the 40s or 50s; as per Adam's research, this era may be the most relevant
Other maps at the NCSU topo repository; may need to download ArcGIS Explorer to view and geo-locate things.
More information from the prolific G.K. on the yet-to-be analyzed blog, Endangered Durham
- using the street name tags on the left pane of the blog, one can find information on sites near Swift, Case, Powe and Caswell. Some of these sites are now split by 147 and may not discharge water to our stream.
- a post on Erwin Field aka, Monkey Bottom, and the streams around it.
UNC's database has photos of Durham
- in the database, use the map on the right to geolocate yourself, then find the image tag you want, then download the package with that tag in left pane (note downloaded image will be around 100MB)
- in the 1955 set, 9P-125 has our site; an annotated crop of this photo is on the right of this page
- land upstream looks to be under more development in the 50s than today
- in the 1972 dataset, our site is on the 172_60 frame
- this shot shows only slightly less development around the site than does the 1955 image
The Endangered Durham blog links a lot of Herald Sun aerial photos; might be worth finding their exact source.
- The photo captioned 'Looking west, 1950s' in this post is directly over our site.
For comparison, a satellite shot of the current land use (from google maps).
More GIS data and aerial photos from the present time are available from the NCDOT
some sources to be analyzed:
National Historical Census