Nicholas School Student Council
Description and Mission
The Nicholas School Student Council (NSSC) of the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences is an advocate on behalf of professional students, representing the interests and concerns of these students to the Duke University and Nicholas School community. The NSSC is a group of elected and volunteer-appointed Masters of Environmental Management (MEM) and Masters of Forestry (MF) students that serves as an advisory body to the faculty and administration, and provides a conduit between the student body, faculty, and administration.
Through the NSSC, professional students address with faculty and administration issues that include, but are not limited to, academic programs and curricula, courses, professional development, and long-range goals of the school. Through the service of its officers and representatives, NSSC aims to improve the quality of student life at the Nicholas School.
The main purposes of NSSC are:
- To facilitate communication between Nicholas School professional students, faculty, and administration.
- To represent the interests and concerns of Nicholas School professional students to the Duke University community.
- To improve the quality of student life at the Nicholas School.
NSSC was formerly known as the SAC (Student Action Committee).
All NSSC members can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Co-Executive Directors: Evan Poirson & Ashley Hartman
Secretary: Jill Wu
Treasurer: Justin Ong
Academic Officer/Judicial Committee Reps: John Culver
Program Area Officer: Lane Wallace
Communications Officer: Apple Loveless
International Student Reps: Wenjing Shi & Maria Ramirez
Alumni Council Rep: Clayton Avent & Michelle Yuan
GPSC Reps: Ashley Hartman and Evan Poirson
Ex-Officio: Nicole Buell, Sangeeta Ballal
Faculty Adviser: Lynn Maguire
Program Area Reps: See List
- Holding NSSC General Meetings to hear student opinion and discuss committee efforts.
- Meetings with Administrative Offices
- Meeting and Communication with faculty.
- Hosting the Dean's Town Hall Meeting each semester.
- Sponsoring Program Area (PA) social mixers.
- Representation at Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC) meetings.
- Meeting and Communication with Nicholas Alumni Council
- 1st Year/New Student Mentoring Match-ups
- Graduation Student and Keynote Speaker Recruitment
- Orientation Honor Code Review Session and advocacy for students in Academic Court.
- Maintaining the Lost and Found Locker
- Encouraging professors to use Mid-Semester Course Evaluations.
- Conducting bi-annual Nicholas School Professional Student Survey to report on State of the MEM Program.
- Providing feedback to Professional Skills Office to improve modules.
- Peer Advising Lounge - Peer advising sessions prior to course registration.
- Working with NicIT on improvements to IT and computing services.
- Assistance with New Student Orientation Planning student committee, including compiling Nickipedia and "Nic School for Dummies" guide.
- Assistance with Nicholas Institute special events (e.g., Clinton/Obama Advisers Forum)
- Co-sponsoring the Nicholas School Sustainability Pledge with DUGI.
- Organizing purchases for essential Student Lounge supplies and appliances.
- Cleaning and organization of Student Lounge kitchen, magazines.
- "Environment at Work" Professional Lunch Seminar Series
- Student Groups Planning Meetings facilitating communication/collaboration amongst student groups.
- Maintain student communications via Nickipedia, NSSC Email Digests, and other means.
Documents and Links
Past Meeting Minutes
- December 2, 2008, Town Hall with Dean Chameides (no podcast available)
- December 2, 2008
- November 18, 2008
- October 22, 2008
- September 23, 2008 Minutes, Nicholas School Student Groups
- September 23, 2008
- September 9, 2008
- April 21, 2008
- April 8, 2008
- March 4th, 2008
- February 18, 2008, Town Hall with Dean Chameides (podcast available)
- February 4, 2008
- January 22, 2008
- November 26, 2007
- November 12, 2007
- October 29, 2007
- September 10, 2007
- April 23, 2007
- April 9, 2007
- March 26, 2007
- March 5, 2007
- February 19 2007
- February 5, 2007
- January 22, 2007
- April 18 , 2006
- April 4, 2006
- Febuary 14, 2006
- January 31, 2006
- January 17, 2006
- December 12, 2005
- November 28, 2005
- November 14, 2005
- October 31, 2005
- October 17, 2005
- October 3, 2005
- September 19, 2005
- September 5, 2005